Falcon Focus

 

Every time I have been out in nature and trying to spot a wild animal, bird, or spirit, I have eventually tired myself chasing the thing around.

I lay there, looking up into the tree, trying to block the light of the sun so I can see where the Falcon is hiding…

But he is smart. He knows just how the light will blind me, and how the leaves will block my view from below.

I whistle. I do a little dance. Hoping maybe he will again take flight from his secret perch so I may glimpse him. But, to no avail. I circle the tree four times looking up, arms overhead to shield my eyes. Must look like a maiden dancing a fairy circle in the woods…

There are actually mushrooms growing here, too. Curious.

Then I stop. Like I do every time that I get exhausted and nearly count myself defeated. I glance back up at the light; too bright to do battle with. But I don’t block it out with my hands.

It’s only as powerful as shadow, I tell myself. I don’t look too long. It still deserves respect. If the Sun wanted me to see all of it, it wouldn’t be so threatening.

Then I walk away sulking. No hope of seeing my friend. I can’t do a perfect falcon cry to call him out. Not yet. But I whistle anyway. I whistle my own tune.

Just a gentle, curious tune, as I walk. Perhaps, I will practice my hand stands while I have the time…

Then as I whistle and balance on my hands, a head emerges from the leaves.

Two feet have side-stepped the length of the branch in curiosity to take a look.

Now, if only I could pretend it natural I stand on my hands, and if he could pretend it natural he fly, then we could be best of friends.

But those things take focus. No time to think of someone else’s feelings during the performance.

The enjoyment of beauty is reserved for idle curiosity.


Jay Horne is an author and publisher out of Bradenton, Florida. He is a husband and father of four.
Listen to all of his works in progress for FREE at
Bookflurry.com
Where Book Clubs Grow.

Bookflurry Inc. houses all of Jay M. Horne’s literary works and audio files. Come spend some time and enjoy! Everything is always FREE and you can stay as long as you want.

http://www.bookflurry.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADHD- A Weakness or a Gift?

Living Against Your Likes can Lead to Liberation